The Student News Site of Lee's Summit High School

State Treasurer

October 6, 2023

The Missouri State Treasurer oversees the state’s $20 billion in annual revenue, $6.5 billion investment portfolio, over $1 billion of Unclaimed Property, and MOST 529, an educational savings program for Missouri families.

Scott Fitzpatrick, Republican Party

Courtesy of scottfitzpatrick.com

Experience: According to his website, Fitzpatrick has served as Missouri Treasurer since his appointment in 2019. He previously served for six years in the Missouri House of Representatives including two years as the Chair of the House Budget Committee. Before entering politics he founded a small dock repair firm.

Issues: Fitzpatrick wants to continue his record-breakingly fast return of Unclaimed Property back to Missourians, push for every child born in the state to get a free college savings account, promote financial literacy, and bring more economic growth to Missouri.

Vicki Englund, Democratic Party

Experience: According to her website, Englund has served four years in the Missouri House of Representatives, six years on the Lindbergh Schools Board of Education, three years on the St. Louis County Economic Council and she owns a small business.

Issues: As Treasurer Englund wants to provide loans to small businesses struggling due to the COVID-19 pandemic, expand the MOST 529 college savings plan, promote inclusivity in the communities of this state and invest in sound businesses that support her goals for a better Missouri.

Nicholas (Nick) Kasoff, Libertarian Party 

Issues: According to a post on his campaign’s Facebook account, Kasoff wants to make the Treasury more efficient by making more use of technology and help the environment along with ending programs like the college sweepstakes, which he views as pointless. 

Joseph Civettini, Green Party

Courtesy of missourigreenparty.org

Experience: According to his profile on the official Missouri green party website, Civettini has served as the Missouri Green Party Treasurer for 11 years and has a job as a Control Systems Engineer.

Issues: The Green Party as a whole supports helping the environment, decentralizing the government, anti-racist policies, and reforming the financial system.