The Student News Site of Lee's Summit High School

Attorney General

October 6, 2023

The Attorney General is in charge of representing Missouri’s legal interests normally by representing the state in high courts. The Attorney General also sits on several Missouri commissions and can advise other government officials on legal matters.

Eric Schmitt, Republican Party

Experience: According to his website, Schmitt spent 16 years practicing the law in the private sector before serving eight years in the Missouri Senate and then working as State Treasurer for nearly two years. He was appointed to the Attorney General position in 2019.

Issues: If Schmitt continues serving as Attorney General he wants to get the state’s backlog of sexual assault kits tested, fight against human trafficking, help resolve the Opioid Crisis, hold big tech companies accountable and continue opposing the Affordable Care Act in court.

Richard Finneran, Democratic Party

Issues: If Finneran is elected to the position he plans to reduce the influence of partisan policy on legal decisions, advocate for victims of crimes and oppose the Republican party’s legal battle against the Affordable Care Act.

Kevin Babcock, Libertarian Party

Experience: Babcock has run for several other offices as the Libertarian candidate.

Issues: The Libertarian party as a whole stands for strong individual rights, limited government powers, and free-market capitalism.