The Cost of Safety

As online classes continue for many at-home students, education is becoming increasingly difficult.

Abbygale Baker

I’m doing horrible in every class. I feel like I’m not learning much. I’m not someone who can easily motivate myself, so this is a challenging thing for me.” Junior Kalina Hamilton wrote.

Students online have faced a new learning experience and it doesn’t seem to be serving them well.

My experience with online school hasn’t been good at all. It’s hard to find motivation to get things done and I get distracted easily. It’s extremely easy to make excuses for why I can’t do it when I know I can, I just don’t want to.” wrote Junior Gabriela Olguin.

It isn’t just a few students that are struggling, each student asked faced their own troubles with the online course work.

“My experience with online classes hasn’t been that great so far. My teachers assign a lot of work at a time and I get overwhelmed and end up not doing it, which is 100% partly my fault.” Marissa Whyde wrote.

With online classes the normal stressors for students is slowly but surely being amplified, it is becoming apparent to students, teachers and parents alike. Since coursework is heavily student paced, countless online students have had trouble with the adjustment.

My biggest difficulty is motivation. It’s hard to get up every day and spend 7 hours on a computer. It feels like I’m wasting every single day away.

— Junior Kalina Hamilton

“My biggest difficulty is motivation. It’s hard to get up every day and spend 7 hours on a computer. It feels like I’m wasting every single day away.” Wrote Hamilton.

Not only is it apparent that motivation is difficult to find but a self-paced study is hard when you have to communicate with your teachers.

“My teachers haven’t been that helpful. Because of the whole corona thing, I have a lot going on at home so I get a little behind. When I email a teacher to see if they could reopen certain assignments they refuse because I ‘should’ve gotten it done before the due date.’ I’m willing to get them all done at that moment and they won’t give me a chance.” wrote Olguin.

Although students have been trying their best to write to teachers, each class and teacher presents new challenges.

“As far as my classes improving, I am not really sure how they would do that. Online classes are hard and some teachers care more than others.” Marissa wrote.

There is a massive communication rift between students and teachers that is bigger than ever and it seems there’s not much to be done about it. As the pandemic trudges on, it is uncertain whether or not students will be able come back to school full time.  The emotional and physical distancing online students have been practicing is a major sacrifice considering many are doing it by parent request.

“I’m attending online classes because my parents don’t want me at risk of giving or getting covid. My mom’s a nurse in the ICU so she has a risk of getting it and passing it to me. Spreading this thing more is the last thing we need.” Hamilton wrote.

There is definitely much to miss about in-person classes, whether it is the social or educational aspect.

“I miss being able to raise my hand to ask a question instead of sending an email and getting a response multiple hours later.” Olguin wrote.

However for others, what is really being missed seems to be having a set schedule.

“What I miss about being in in-person classes would be being able to get all my work done. When I go in person then I have to do all my classwork because I am there and that is the only purpose for being there. When I am at home, I get so distracted and nobody is sincerely making me do the work.” Wrote Marissa.

The future of schooling is unpredictable and overwhelming for everyone. It’s clear that for many, online course work isn’t as simple as it would seem. There is a lot of time and study balancing to manage along with life outside of school.

I hope I can go back in person soon. I have no idea when because it would have to be after this virus gets calmed down. Considering we still have thousands of new cases a day, I bet that will not be happening any time soon.” Marrisa wrote.

This pandemic is a stressful adjustment for both students and teachers as 2020 progresses on, more so for some than others.