Sorry Seniors

Seniors speak on the highs and lows of an unusual cap to their High School careers

Jaeden Miller

Due to COVID-19, this school year has been wildly different than any other. For seniors, this means losing many of the things that make school fun for them in the first place.

“Due to COVID, my senior year looked a lot different than I wanted it to. My favorite part of high school has always been the extracurricular activities such as football games, homecoming dances, and student senate events. However, all of these things looked different this year because of COVID,” senior Mallory Butler said. 

Many seniors have struggled with the major lack of structure of this year, as well as the lack of a lot of the social aspects. With the football games all being off bounds, students were unable to participate in any community activities. As well as the lack of football games, the homecoming and courtwarming dances were both canceled. 

“I have done everything I can to make the most out of this year, I have built more friendships, traveled, got to know myself more than before, in addition to just enjoying things as much as I can now because as we all know now, things are more temporary than we think,” senior Johnny Brackins said. 

Despite the lack of most extracurricular activities, many seniors have tried their absolute best to make the most of this odd year.

“I have for sure tried to milk every opportunity I have gotten this year. I was fortunate enough to get to go to a couple basketball games this year that were out of the school’s control of who was able to get in and I am very thankful for that. Although it has been a really rough year I feel like I have still had a decent time,” senior Deven Sommerer said.

As the school year has progressed, COVID rules and restrictions have become far less strict. Because of this, more things have become accessible to students, just with certain restrictions. For example, prom was open to students, just with certain restrictions put in place in order to prevent the spread of COVID.

“I would have loved to go to the football games with a crowd and gotten loud one last time. I think some of my favorite memories have been at the football games cheering on my friends,” Sommerer said.

Based on what people are saying, many seniors appear to have tried to make the most out of this year, despite how odd and unpredictable it has been.