Senior Words of Wisdom

As the year comes to an end, seniors reflect on their last year and share some of the things they have learned over time

Olivia O'Dell

As the year comes to an end, seniors reflect on their last year and share some of the things they have learned over time. 

It’s kinda been a bitter-sweet year. I’m excited to graduate and go to college, but because of COVID, we didn’t get to enjoy this year. I think the few months we were actually here and in person were great, I just wish it would’ve been the full year,” senior Kamryn O’Dell said. 

It has been a long and bumpy road, but these hardships have not stood in the way of many students’ goals. 

“I am passing my hardest classes, and I got into the college of my dreams,” O’Dell said. 

While some focus on their academic achievements, others’ proudest accomplishments are more geared towards athletics. 

“Some of my proudest accomplishments are being named one of the team captains for the LSHS football team this year. Another is that I was recognized as a team leader for our baseball team,” senior Tommy Lock said. 

Several students hold pride in their religion. 

“My proudest accomplishment wouldn’t be one event in particular. I think my biggest accomplishment is following Jesus and living for him every day. That is the hardest, but the best accomplishment of all,” senior Brea Hurst said. 

Even before COVID invaded, upperclassmen had already struggled through a few years of high school and had picked up on a couple of tips for surviving. 

Don’t put up a wall, be you, and find people that have your best interest in mind,

— Brea Hurst

“Underclassmen: be present. In every moment. High school will fly by. Don’t put up a wall, be you, and find people that have your best interest in mind,” Hurst said. 

Several people say to embrace high school and enjoy the opportunities it provides. 

“Don’t give up and don’t be afraid to push yourself. You can do better than you think you can, and just enjoy high school. It’s four years of making friends, going to events, and yes a lot of homework, but if you don’t find a way to enjoy it and make the best of it, you will be miserable. So even though it sucks to get up at 6 am and go to school, just try to enjoy it and make it fun,” O’Dell said.

Many upperclassmen will tell younger students to take advantage of being young.

Live in the moment. Everyone wants to grow up so bad until it is actually time to grow up.

— Tommy Lock

If I were to try to help an underclassman or give them some guiding words, I would say to live in the moment. Everyone wants to grow up so bad until it is actually time to grow up. We are only going to be kids in high school for a short time of our lives and sitting around waiting for this experience to be over is the biggest mistake we can make. I feel that this is important information to pass on because a lot of people are just sitting around letting the days pass by and not really having a purpose yet. Finding out who you really are and making memories with people you love is something that I wish I would have taken advantage of a lot earlier than I did,” Lock said. 

With this important advice and the legacy of the seniors to live up to, students prepare to step into summer. Although they were directed at underclassmen, these helpful words can apply to anyone. With farewells and hopes for bright futures, people say goodbye to the graduating class of 2021.