The Student News Site of Lee's Summit High School

Hi-Life Online

Hi-Life Online

Hi-Life Online

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Get your Kicks

Wrap up on Lee’s Summit’s girls varsity soccer
Samantha Stanley

The Varsity Girls Soccer team at LSHS is currently six-two-one for the 2023-2024 season. They are led by Coach Wiebenga and are assisted by Coach Iantorno. The team has had great success in recent years.  For the 2023 season, the team were District champions for the Class Four District Seven. Several players reflect on their current and past seasons. The athletes chose soccer, the team’s answers showed just how special this program is. 

“My favorite part of the program is the players because they’re all like my best friends and we all hang out and we have really good relationships,” Junior Lexi Morefield said.

The team continuity has carried over for multiple seasons now. 

“I chose to play soccer because we did really good last year. I knew that we have about the same roster, so we can make it really far this year. I love playing with all the girls,” Morefield said.

Many of the athletes have been playing the sport since elementary age, and some even earlier.

“I’ve played soccer all four years. I’ve played since I was four. I’ve just always played soccer,” Senior Alli Snow said.

Years of training have brought a passion and joy to the hard work ethic of the organization. Many players cannot even pinpoint one thing that makes them love the sport, it is all encompassing. 

“I had a lot of fun playing it last year. Just something that I enjoyed playing,” Sophomore Olivia Wilmes said.

The joy of this team extends beyond the field. 

“There’s just nobody that you don’t like. Everyone is kind of a family and we’re all friends who may have team dinners a lot during the week. I just think the team brings you back,” Snow said.

The team is very hopeful for postseason success. They are excited to see how far they can play.  

“To see how we do a district, because I think we have a chance to go far but we’ve just been like jacking around so I don’t really know how we’ll do it, like we can but I don’t know if we will,” Snow said.

The team is just starting out in their season, and finding out what they need to do for pregame to have success in a game.  

“For me, personally, before a game I just get really excited and I like to talk a lot and have a lot of energy. Some people are more quiet due to themselves, but I just like to talk to everyone and get excited,” Morefield said.

With the team just coming off a three-zero win the team shared their thoughts on the match.

“I think it went pretty well. Our Head Coach wasn’t there, but so our assistant coaches were there and I’d say it went pretty well because it took us a litt

le longer to score than we had hoped for. But we did good at adjusting in the second half and in the second half, we came out really hard with a lot of energy,” Morefield said.

It was the first game for Freshman Myli Beale, who was just pulled up from the JV team.

“I was kind of nervous. When I got pulled up. I was more nervous than I was on JV,” Beale said. 

Other players were looking forward to showing off their hard work and talent. 

“I was getting really excited because I knew that we could be good this year if we really worked hard, and we’re really focused,” Morefield said.

The team morale is set for the early season.

“I like all the people on the team, and it’s just a good environment,” Beale said.

The team is facing some challenges.

“We have a player coming back from an injury and some new people that are some freshmen,” Morefield said.

Despite those obstacles, the team is taking them in stride.  

“The only thing I would change so far this season is a couple of the losses we’ve had if I could,” Morefield said.