The Student News Site of Lee's Summit High School

Hi-Life Online

Hi-Life Online

Hi-Life Online

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Serve up

Serve+up
Norah Wareham

The Girls Varsity Tennis team at LSHS wrapped up their 2023-2024 season on October 3rd in the District Semifinals vs LS West. Their record was eight to ten in their regular season. They are ranked third in Class 3 in District 6. They have two months of a nonstop grind from tryouts until Districts. Since the season is so short, they have to hit the ground running to ensure a high level of competitiveness. A crucial part of their success was their team bond and camaraderie.

“I thought that it was a very good season for the team overall. There were a lot of new people, and everybody did a very good job of unifying as a team,” Junior Caroline Huffington said.

With the leadership of the returning players and the intense focus on the team aspect, it was a combination built for growth and success.

“All of us are really close, and we do a lot of team bonding and stuff like that, and I love making new friends on the team. “ Huffington said.

The team bonding activities and overall atmosphere make this sport more than just a game. The team is a sisterhood and is enjoyed more with the support from one another.

“The people make it more fun and it’s just all around a good team sport.” Junior Tia Moore said.

The upperclassmen are very impressed with their predecessors.

“I’m probably most proud of the underclassmen that joined our team. They really stepped up and just made our team a lot more competitive. “ Huffington said.

The way the team embraced the new players and supported the sport helped the transition from hard work and determination to enjoyment and memories that will last a life

time.

“I think it was like we got really close, and it was just like, even more fun to play tennis with being on the team.” Sophomore Lucy Cooper said.

The team is reflecting on their season and making plans for next year, determined to build on the progress and success they started this year.

“For next season, I just got in my head so much, and it was just worrying about so many things that were out of my control. And I just need to focus on what I can control and what I can do, and that will really make an impact.” Cooper said.

Many of the athletes are already involved in training and development for the winter. They are doubling their efforts and making adjustments to their game to suit their personal goals better.

“My mindset is that it’s going to be very competitive. So, I’m definitely going to work hard in the offseason to be at the spot I want to be at. “ Huffington said.

The team has big goals for their future, and they are taking in all of their matches as points to learn from. They have changed their mindsets to meet their new plan.

“Just remember that I need to focus and never give up. Every point matters, and just keep my head in the game,” Cooper said.

The team is stacked with up-and-coming athletes, and they are looking very promising for the program’s advancement in seasons to come.

“I think we’re gonna be really good because we have a lot of people that are already underclassmen, and it’s just gonna get better from there,” Cooper said.

The team seems to have all of the right things in place to be able to achieve their goals and make the program both competitive and an excellent environment for the athletes that follow

“There’s some really good freshmen coming in, so I think we’re gonna make it to state,” Moore said.

The team continues to make the school proud of all of their hard work and dedication. It will definitely be a program to watch in the seasons to come.

“I think the future is very bright. We have a lot of really good freshmen and sophomores. They’re just going to keep getting better the next couple of years,

so I’m really excited to see how well they do,“ Huffington said