Tiger Tradition

Tiger Tradition

Mrs Hays’s National Arts Honor Society Works on refurbishing the tiger head

Tradition, pride, excellence. Lees Summit High School has so many long standing traditions and memorabilia. The biggest being our tiger head that stood strong at the front of our school.

“The first class and the 70s made it and then there was another class in like the early 2000s that restored it. So the big goal with it is to  add on to that history, and not making the tiger head look like this whole new thing”Junior, Khaliah Dye said.

Students are exited and nervous to work on such a big part of our history.

“It’s kind of scary because like the people who originally made it were students and they donated it to the school. That was a long, long time ago, and it’s so special to people.” Senior Grace Jacobi said.

The students along with their teacher Mrs. Hays have a whole process for restoring the tiger.

“Early March, we cleaned it all up and tried to get all the loose paint off of it. This month I believe we are sending it down and then next month. We’re gonna repaint it and gloss it so it can actually come back to the school.” Freshman, Jimmy Shipman said.

This isnt just a small project for these students.

“Artists do the inside of the mouth because it’s attached to the thing that hangs it up. So it was too dangerous for the kids to do.” Said Jacobi.

Students also have experienced the history and respect for our tiger.

“It’s kind of a surreal thing because, before I even came to school here. I would see it on the way, and just seeing it on the ground and like being able to touch it and like working on it is really cool.” Dye said.

The students are excited to be apart of our tiger history and show off their hard work.

“Wherever they decide to put it, it’s gonna be there for a very long time.” Jacobi said.

(All Photos have been provide by Mrs. Hayes)