Lost Transition

Lost+Transition

Some freshmen right now are struggling to get back into school after not having a full year of school since sixth grade. Now students are trying to learn how to survive high school.

“Being online sucked, it was harder than normal and didn’t give us as many instructions as they used to.” Freshman Adian O’Neal said.

Being online sucked, it was harder than normal and didn’t give us as many instructions as they used to.

— Aidan O’Neal

These kids had to figure out middle school with little to no help. Now they have to navigate high school without that middle school stage of development.

“I feel like I missed being able to learn how to like, people say they learn so much in middle school and it was the changing point of their lives and I feel like most of us never got it.” Freshman Juilanna Belzeski said.

A lot of students did not learn the importance of due dates and what consequences they would experience in high school.

“I wish that I got prepared to actually have consequences, I feel like during online there weren’t consequences at all when we got back in they were like ‘oh you don’t have a consequence you’re fine you can just turn it in a few months or weeks later.’” Belzeski said.

These students have not had the chance to learn more about school activities and are still trying to find out who they are, and who they want to become.

“Middle school kinda helped me just like find myself more by finding different activities but high school not really because the activities here didn’t really speak much to me so that’s why I’m not doing anything.” Freshman Mila Hawkins said

Along with students trying to find themselves, others are doing the same, and they have time to adjust to the reality of high school.

I wish that I got prepared to actually have consequences, I feel like during online there weren’t consequences at all

— Juilanna Belzeski

“The people are different, they are the same people but I feel like they’ve changed and they think they are better than everyone.” Belzeski said.

Effectively use of time is very important for high school but what is more important is being able to find classes.

“I would say always get your homework done and when you get to high school make sure you walk your classes and know where they are.” Belzeski said.

Finding oneself is important but students also need to make time to finish their school work instead of procrastinating.

“Use time effectively because time is a major in high school because you need to be in class on time, and you need to have all of your homework done on time,” Freshman Logan Gray said

Students have had to figure out high school on the spot without the middle school preparing them.

“I would say that you need to be yourself and not be somebody else because you won’t really make any friends that way and stay out of a lot of pointless drama because it’s not worth it.” Hawkins said.