Vindicated Vaccines

An inside look at the new wave of vaccines set for teachers, and how it will affect school

Vindicated+Vaccines

Jaeden Miller

The COVID pandemic has been going on for nearly a year. We have gone through countless rules and regulations set by the CDC, with high schools getting much of the brunt of the effects of this pandemic. With students having to struggle through being fully online, to being hybrid, to being properly in school, it is a very nice feeling to know that the vaccine is finally reaching school officials.

“I am very happy teachers are able to get the vaccine, but I wish students could also have it,” English teacher Stephanie Melius said.

Because teachers will soon be getting vaccinated, we are going to have to go back into a sort of virtual learning environment for a while. Teachers will need an hour or so to go and get their vaccination and will return to allow students to ask any questions they may have.

“I am fine with the virtual days, at this point we all have become so used to our schedule being different, whether it is an AMI day, virtual day, hybrid day, whatever,” social studies teacher James Mellody said.

Many people will soon be able to get the vaccine. Basically, anybody that works for a school, pre-K-12. More specifically, it will be teachers and staff in pre-K-12 schools, childcare centers, head start, and early head start programs, licensed childcare providers, classroom aides, bus drivers, janitors, counselors, administration staff, cafeteria workers, and substitute teachers according to the CDC.

Masks, hand washing, and social distancing will still be necessary to keep students and those not vaccinated safe

— Stephanie Melius

“Masks, hand washing, and social distancing will still be necessary to keep students and those not vaccinated safe,” Melius said.

All in all, the vaccine is clearly on the rise. More and more people are getting vaccinated every day, and by following proper CDC guidelines, it is looking like we will be able to finally beat COVID once and for all.

“I think it is embarrassing and insulting that it took so long,” math teacher Paul Hawkins said. 

Based on the CDC guidelines, social distancing is becoming far less strict in schools. Teachers and other school personnel are getting vaccinated, as well as many students over the age of 16. With these things combined, it seems as though the pandemic is finally beginning to slow down.